What Zombies Can Educate You About Molly Bloom

Index Topics Forums News What Zombies Can Educate You About Molly Bloom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    patrickfenston

Poker, as the heroine of Molly’s Game points out, is a game of skill, not of chance; and yet chance plays a key role in Aaron Sorkin’s movie. Instead, thanks to Sorkin’s caustic, witty screenplay and Chastain’s blazing performance, it never loses its momentum or its fatalistic humour. The filmmakers extract plenty of humour from the jokes about condoms and hangovers, from the scenes of raucous singing on the bus and karaoke in the shopping mall, and from the sequences of Tom wandering forlornly round the pubs, cafes and shops of Galway, trying to reassemble the party. The film follows a group of characters with “intellectual disabilities” on a day out to the cinema in Galway with their hapless but well-meaning young care worker, Tom (Robert Doherty). Molly may share a name with one of James Joyce’s most famous characters but she is a Russian-Jew, not the Irish colleen that some of her more sentimental clients think her to be. The real Molly ran poker games with a $10,000 buy-in at the Viper Room in Los Angeles.<br><br>But he did introduce her to the world of poker and the game at the Viper Room, a bar he co-owned. HarperCollins Publishers has acquired world rights for the film tie-in edition of Molly’s Game: From Hollywood’s Elite to Wall Street’s Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker, a memoir by Molly Bloom, soon to be a major motion picture starring Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, and written and directed by Aaron Sorkin, in his directorial debut. Based on a true story, the movie appears to be a faithful adaptation of Bloom’s memoir, Molly’s Game: From Hollywood’s Elite to Wall Street’s Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker. Max Landis’s screenplay wants to have it both ways – to be a brooding, Dystopian Blade Runner-like fantasy and a wisecracking buddy movie. What makes her such a refreshing movie character is her complete lack of self-pity and her refusal to make excuses, even when things go very wrong. His fellow police officers and the shady men from Infernal Affairs want him to betray Jacoby, but Daryl is far too upstanding to do that, even if he does owe money on his mortgage and has a family to support.<br><br>Even her arrest by the FBI isn’t really about Molly, but a means for the feds to get dirt on the Russian mobsters who played in the poker games she ran in New York. In keeping with its heroine, the film moves rapidly, sketching in Molly’s time as a cocktail waitress in California and telling us how she came to work as an office assistant to Dean Keith (Jeremy Strong), the sleazy estate agent who gets her into the poker world in the first place. It’s not just a story about a former vodka waitress and office assistant who organised high stakes card games for the rich and famous. Yeah. And then, after the book and the movie, I think people started to see it more as, I was a 23-year-old girl who was trying to build a business. Why do we suddenly hear the sound of the projector and see a huge hole burned in the image we have just been watching?<br><br>” and I sincerely looked at the camera with my headgear and my back brace and said, “Just the fact that I have pretty much everything going for me.” And I meant it! Another couple enjoys a stolen kiss in the back row of the cinema. Back to flashbacks, Molly starts making money running the games, and her lifestyle improves as well as the quality of the games. Molly earns large sums of money in tips alone. Charlie negotiates a deal for Molly to receive no sentence and for her money to be returned in exchange for her hard drives and digital gambling records. Pace the Goldwater ruling, the onscreen Molly Bloom’s shallowness isn’t due to vapid scripting, but the peculiar alexithymia native to the pathological gambler’s persona, which breeds massive unknowningness about inner life and motivations. The first is Bloom’s “chance” encounter with her estranged father (Costner) at a New York City outdoor ice skating rink. Bloom’s memoir chronicles her journey from college student to LA waitress to building and operating the largest and most notorious private poker game in the world. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin entrusted cinematographer Charlotte Bruus Christensen to shoot his feature directorial debut, about a woman who flourished in the male-dominated world of poker – and ran afoul of the FBI.<br><br>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.